GOALS FOR RUTGERS UNIVERSITY LIBRARIES
LIBRARY FACULTY PLANNING COMMITTEE *
- Improve access to existing collections by preserving and digitizing
existing unique materials, including the completion of the retrospective
conversion of the card catalogs of the major research collections. Access
will be delivered electronically to the desktops of the University's
- Continue to attract, develop, support and retain a flexible, quality
library faculty and staff, building upon existing talents, knowledge, and
skills, and to strengthen our capabilities and provide opportunities to
reorganize work, as needed, to meet continuously changing demands and
- Establish a secure materials funding base, with allowance for future growth in
both print and electronic resources; develop oversight procedures for monitoring
collection usage and relevance to university priorities.
- Identify user groups and strengthen relations with primary communities.
Establish service priorities for the library system as well as selected
- Develop effective instructional programs in relation to the
development of virtual environments.
- Develop management information systems (not necessarily computerized)
to measure and evaluate programs and processes.
* Ka-Neng Au, Susan J. Beck, Chair,
Ron Becker, Jeris Cassel, Howard Dess, Nancy Putnam, Lida Sak,
Jane Sloan, Roberta Tipton.
Susan J. Beck
April 2, 1998