Eighteenth-Century Resources Religion & Theology
This page, edited by Jack Lynch of Rutgers Newark, is part of the larger collection of Eighteenth-Century Resources on the Net.
Religion and Theology
Apart from electronic texts by individual theologians (see, e.g., Law), there's little on the Net right now. See also Philosophy.
- English Literature & Religion (William S. Peterson, Univ. of Maryland)
- Organized around a huge bibliography (in Adobe Acrobat format), cataloguing over 6,000 items on the history of religion, particularly strong on 17th- and 19th-c. Anglicanism. Shorter bibliographies on topics (the English Bible, the Book of Common Prayer), movements (Puritanism, mysticism), and people (Andrewes, Milton, Hooker, Tennyson, C. S. Lewis) are also available.
- Lay Religious Beliefs: The Spiritual Testimonies of Early Eighteenth-Century Presbyterian Communicants (David L. Wykes)
- A scholarly essay.
- Religion, Society and Culture in Newfoundland and Labrador (Hans Rollmann, Memorial Univ. of Newfoundland)
- Extensive and well-designed archive of information on religion in northeastern Canada, including in the eighteenth century. Contains E-texts, links, images, and essays. Includes a search engine for the site. Graphics-heavy.
- California Mission Studies Association
- Includes some 18th-c. missions. Information on the Association, many well-annotated links, articles, a glossry, and a list of CMSA publications.
- The Sor Juana Inés de la Cruz Project (Dartmouth)
- Extensive and scholarly project on the Mexican nun and scholar.
- The Clergy of the Church of England Database 1540-1835
- An in-progress database of Anglican clergy.
- Methodist Archives and Research Centre (John Rylands Library)
- Information on the Archives, E-texts, images, and links.
- John Wesley: Holiness of Heart and Life (Charles Yrigoyen, Jr.)
- Information on Wesley, aimed especially at the devout.
- A Wesley Biography (Kenneth J. Collins, Asbury Theological Seminary)
- Extensive bibliography of primary and secondary work in PDF format. No annotations.
- Women and Wesley's Times
- Essay and links on women in the early Methodist church.
- Quaker History
- Links (in a general site on Quakerism) to sites on the history of the Society of Friends.
- The Quaker Writings Home Page (QWHP) (Peter Sippel)
- Many dozens of primary texts, mostly short, by Margaret Fell, George Fox, William Penn, and others, with some secondary essays as well.
- Canadian Friends Historical Association
- Information on Canadian Quakers, including in the eighteenth century.
Judaism and Chassidism
- Hasidism Overview (Eliezer Segal, Univ. of Calgary)
- Includes information on Israel ben Eliezer, the Ba'al Shem Tov.
- Rabbenu's Seforim
- "An experimental site that cross-references the works of Rabbenu, Rebbe Nachman of Breslov, and related Chassidic and Scriptural online texts" (much of it in Hebrew).
- Breslov Bulletin Board
- "A general forum for sharing announcements and insights about Rebbe Nachman and Breslov Chassidus."
- Nishmas Chayim Torah, Chassidut and Jewish Spirituality (Israel)
- Includes valuable background information on the Ba'al Shem Tov and early Chasidism.
- Swedenborg Foundation
- Information for the faithful; includes essays on his life, writings, and theology. Graphics- and Java-heavy.
- The Gist of Swedenborg (ed. Julian K. Smyth and William F. Wunsch)
- An introduction to Swedenborg's philosophy.