Louie Crew Clay,
Ph.D., D.D., D.D., D.H.L.
Professor Emeritus of
English, Rutgers: The State
of New Jersey
- Joint Standing Committee on Nominations,
- Secretary of Province 2, 2006-2009
- Integrity: The Ministry of Lesbigay
Episcopalians), Founder, 1974.
1974-77; editorial board, 1989--.
- The Executive Council, 2000-2006; member of
Committee on International Concerns, Vice-Chair from 2003-2006.
- The Standing Commission on Anglican and
International Peace with Justice Concerns, 1997-2003. Secretary
- Standing Commission on Human Affairs,
- Communications Legislative Committee,
the 2003 General Convention.
- International Affairs Legislative Committee,
the 2000 General Convention.
- Social & Urban Legislative Committee, the
1997 General Convention.
- Creator of the bishops-deputies discussion
list in 1996 and maintaineer through 2002.
- Creator of unofficial
Anglican pages, which average 1,100+ visitors per day.
- Board of Directors,
Episcopal Church Publishing Company, 1999-2002, Editorial Board, 2002--.
- Co-Chair of the New Commandment Task
Force, 1999-2000, a group which promotes reconciliation between
liberals and conservatives within the Episcopal Church.
- Deputation to General Convention, 1994 Co-Chair; 1997; 2000
Chair; 2003; 2006 Chair; 2009 Co-Chair
- The Nominating Committee for the
10th Bishop of Newark, 2005-2007
- Member of the Vestry,
Church, Newark, 1991-1995, 2004-2010. Clerk, 2004--
Parish deputy to diocesan convention, 1991-2000, 2005--.
Parish representative to District 4, 2005-2006, 2007--.
- Member of Standing Committee, Diocese of
1996-2004. President from
- Chapter of the Cathedral of Trinity & St.
- Nominating Committee for a
Bishop Coadjutor, 1997-1999, Secretary.
- Member of Council
- Organizer of the Diocesan Technology
- Task Force on Episcopal Identity, 1990-92.
- Episcopal Housing Board,
- History Task Force, Chair from 1991. Historiographer,
- Board of Directors,
the diocesan ministry with lesbians and gays,
National Council of Teachers of English: Board of Directors, 1976-1980. Chaired panels in 1976,
1977, 1979, & 1980. Papers 1978,
1987. Poetry 1978. Co-founded the
lesbigay caucus, 1975.
National Gay and
Task Force. Board of Directors,
- Associate Professor of English, 1989-2001; Professor
- Chair of the Rutgers University Senate,
- Member of the Board of Governors,
Sons of the American
Revolution [inactive by intention]
Council on Lesbian and Gay Issues, 1983.
Education: Ph.D., Alabama, 1971; M.A., Auburn, 1959; B.A.,
Baylor (a.k.a. Judge Baylor's Finishing School and Bible College), 1958.
Author of 2,387 items,
the first openly gay materials ever published in Change Magazine,
Christianity & Crisis,
Chronicle of Higher Education,
The Living Church,
Southern Exposure. Editor of special lesbigay issues
College English, and Margins.
Editorial board of Journal of Homosexuality (1978-83; 89--);
Empathy: Interdisciplinary Journal for
Working to End Violence and Discrimination Against Sexual Minorities,
90-- and Progressive
1988--. Edited A Book of
Revelations: Lesbian and Gay
Episcopalians Tell Their Own Stories, 1991, a collection of 52
biographies. See a sampler of Clay's essays
Honorary Doctor of Humane Letters Degree, Church Divinity School of the
Honorary Doctor of Divinity Degree, General Theological Seminary,
Recipient of the Bishops Cross, from Rt. Rev. John S.
Diocese of Newark, 2000
of Divinity Degree, Episcopal Divinity School,
Vida Scudder Award,
Episcopal Church Publishing Company, 1994.
Service Award. Episcopal Diocese of
- National Endowment for
- University of Chicago, 1981.
- University of Texas, Austin, 1977.
- University of California, Berkeley,
- Ragdale Foundation, Writer-in-residence.
- Wurlitzer Foundation,
Honor societies: Phi Kappa Phi, Alpha Psi Omega, Sigma Tau
Listed: Contemporary Authors; Directory of
American Poets; International Who's Who in Poetry; Who's Who in America;
Who in the World and The Writer's Directory.
Licensed as a
Baptist minister, March 10, 1954.
Please sign my guestbook and
My site has been accessed
times since February 14, 1996.
Statistics courtesy of