Toledo, OH

Guestbook entry

Hi Louie!

I met you and Ernest at an LGBT conference at St. Bartholomew's, NYC,
back in 2001. I attended from St. Mark's in Toledo. I can't remember
the conference title, but inclusive churches from around the US met
to share in our local efforts.

I clearly remember three things from that conference:

 1. The Rector from All Saints shaking up the audience was
    phenomenal.
 2. The Rector from St. Barts who directly addressed the congregation
    about an anonymous letter suggesting that his/her complaint about
    loving inclusively includes them.
 3. Your wit, charm, and openness to just be the fullness of who you
    are created to be. You encouraged me  to continue obtaining my
    Master's degree and not let Ohio get to me (LOL). Thanks to your
    example of excelling in the face of homophobia, I not only
    completed my M. Ed., I have a doctorate of philosophy in
    education (educational media). THANK YOU!

I've continued to think of your life's work in dealing with the often
homophobic conditions of living in a less-than tolerant state. For
example, although I was told by my supervisor to "go back into the
closet" years ago (how does that actually occur?), I decided to
remain out and steadfast in being all I am called to be. As
unclassified staff, I am in an unprotected "at will" employment
administrative position, but still, I joined the board of the LGBT
Alumni and an advisor for Spectrum's Safe Places Project (our student
LBGT/Q/QA group). Soon, I will be seeking new opportunities in a
faculty position or professional faculty position in eLearning, so
the current "Leona" I work for will have to torment some straight
folks in the office (LOL).

I just wanted to drop a line to you and thank you for your
persistence in working for equality among members of our community.
You are an inspiration to us all.

Respectfully,
Mark (and Nelson, the much better half)

            Mark L. Fink, Ph. D.