Urbana, IL

Name: Katrina Evelyn Halfaker
Email: halfake2@illinois.edu or halfakerk@gmail.com
Yr. web site: NA
City: State: Urbana, Illinois

I heard about or connected to your page via: The magical ether of the
internet.

___Computer Materials.
E.g., http://andromeda.rutgers.edu/~lcrew/sharewar.html
___Lesbigay Issues.
E.g., http://andromeda.rutgers.edu/~lcrew/lbg.html
_X_ Poetry
Resources.E.g., http://andromeda.rutgers.edu/~lcrew/poetry.html
___Religious Resources.
E.g., http://andromeda.rutgers.edu/~lcrew/rel.html

Comments:

I am very grateful your website exists. Before starting my
undergraduate studies, I wanted to brush up on contemporary poetry
and the variety of venues out there. When I had a class with a Ms.
Julie Price, she was shocked to know that I had heard about Rattle
(which I currently read semi regularly). It's a great resource for
anyone, really, because there are SO many journals out there, and
many are not exactly highly trafficked, such as publications like the
New Yorker and the Times and all those random magazines and
Pennysavers. (Can you imagine, poetry in the Pennysaver?)

Anyway, I share it with everyone I know looking to branch out, and I
appreciate how comprehensive the list is. It gives me a greater sense
of what is happening in the literary community, and it inspires me to
keep writing. I feel more confident about submitting when I can gauge
the individual style or theme of a publication, and it's nice to know
there are options outside of campus papers to look at and get
involved with.

Assuming I do pursue an MFA and teach, I will force my students to
read up on all of these publications. It's important to know what is
being said about the world, who people are, what people have
experienced, what people find significant or symbolic. I really
believe that to read is to understand life and others just a little
bit more, and it's crucial for developing a sense of humanity and
empathy. Besides: knowledge for the sake of knowledge is the most
sincere form of learning.

Again, much thanks for your resources! Power to you all. You have
given my life more direction.

-Katrina
--
K. E. HalfakerUniversity of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
College of Liberal Arts and Sciences: Creative Writing and