The Theology of Ikky-Poo: Fumigate this Church!

I am sorry that the Archbishop of Canterbury is having to endure part of the
stigma that follows when one brings good news to lesbians and gays, at least
in most parts of the Anglican Communion.  If the Archbishop isn't more
careful, he might get a reputation as a friend of sinners! What on earth
would the church become if it became a safe place for them? Didn't Jesus
come to save the righteous?

Fortunately Jesus always shows up when we lesbians and gays receive
Eucharist.   Worship God with us in our holy catacombs.

I urge the Archbishop to end his long avoidance of lgbt in the Episcopal
Church (TEC).  A majority of TEC congregations would be glad to host him,
and most of our bishops would readily grant him permission.  Hundreds of
lgbts -- clergy and lay --  might show up with no need for secrecy.
Absolutely everybody could come.

Welcome to Samaria!  Drink from our wells.  No bucket is required for living
water.

Perfect love casts out all fear.

Happy New Year!

Louie
Louie Crew, PhD, DD, DD, DHL
Newark deputation to General Convention

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/comment/faith/article3111435.ece

   From The Times [London]
   December 31, 2007

Bishop left in dark over secret gay service

   Richard Chartres, Bishop of London
   Dominic Kennedy

   The Archbishop of Canterbury kept a special communion service for gays
   so secret that he failed to tell the Bishop of London it was happening
   in his diocese, The Times has learnt.

   Dr Rowan Williams inflamed the row over homosexuality which is tearing
   apart the Anglican Church when it was reported that he had agreed to
   hold a eucharist for gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgender clergy.

   But even his critics have been taken aback to learn that he did so by
   making an incursion on to the patch of the Bishop of London, the Right
   Rev Richard Chartres, without giving notice or seeking permission.

   Dr Williams now risks being seen as, at best, discourteous and at
   worst, in breach of canon law, for sneaking into a church near the
   Tower of London under the Bishop's nose. Canon law says that only a
   bishop can authorise services in his own diocese and infringements may
   result in an intruder being removed from office.

   The gays' venue of choice was drenched in symbolism. The stones and
   beams of the 7th century church of All Hallows by the Tower have borne
   witness to the persecution of misunderstood, but ultimately
   vindicated, Christians down the ages. The headless bodies of the
   martyr saints Sir Thomas More, John Fisher and William Laud were taken
   there after their executions at the Tower.

   Lambeth Palace is justifying the sortie by relying on a rule designed
   to provide short-term stand-ins for sick or holidaying vicars. But a
   spokesman made no reply when The Times suggested that the Archbishop's
   behaviour might be seen as rude.

   The Bishop of London's spokesman said: "The Bishop wasn't aware it was
   taking place." He described the event as a private function.

   The spokesman was asked by The Times if he considered there had been a
   discourtesy. "I am not able to comment on that," he replied.

   Such security surrounded the communion service for priests, monks and
   nuns organised by the Clergy Consultation support group that the
   guestlist was shredded by Lambeth Palace.

   The location was changed after the original venue, the liberal St
   Peter's Church in Eaton Square, was "outed" on a hostile website.

   Dr Williams's covert methods are a gift to opponents threatening
   schism at next year's Lambeth Conference.

   The Times emailed the previous Archbishop of Canterbury, Lord Carey, a
   more conservative primate, to ask if such a thing would have happened
   in his day.

   The 72-year-old replied promptly by Blackberry: "I am sure that Rowan
   was acting for the very best of reasons viz. to show that he cares for
   all and wishes to hold minorities in the church. What would I have
   done? I would not have agreed to a private Eucharist; after all, the
   Eucharist, by definition, is open to all Christians.

   "I am surprised to hear that the Bishop of London's permission was not
   sought. Check your facts. If that is so then it is a failure of
   courtesy but it could be a staff member's fault! Happy Christmas".

   Lambeth Palace at first implied that it was acceptable to bypass the
   bishop because the invitation had come from an independent group
   rather than a parish.

   Asked where canon law permits services without a bishop's blessing, a
   spokesman pointed to Canon C8, paragraph 2 (a). This allows ministers
   to invite a "priest or deacon" to serve in their church for up to
   seven days without telling the bishop.

   However, a canon lawyer said there was no wording in that rule which
   mentioned invitations to external bishops.

   The Bishop of London now has the drastic option of reporting Dr
   Williams to the Archbishop of York who could order a tribunal hearing
   with ultimate powers of removal from office. Nobody is suggesting that
   the Bishop would exercise these rights but those familiar with him say
   he would be disappointed to have been kept in the dark.

   The Rev Bertrand Olivier, vicar of All Hallows and a former convenor
   of Clergy Consultation, said: "It's nothing to do with the Bishop. Why
   would the Bishop need to be told?"

   The Rev Colin Coward, a gay priest at the gathering, said: "The
   consulation has always met in confidentiality of venue and time to
   preserve the safety of those who come."

   Traditionalists are dismayed that the Archbishop condoned practising
   gay clergy by choosing to give communion, instead of just listening to
   them. Canon Chris Sugden of Anglican Mainstream said: "Obviously they
   were wanting to communicate that this is acceptable behaviour for
   those who are at the table of the Lord."

   Archbishop of Canterbury

   Incumbent Most Rev and Rt Hon Dr Rowan Williams, since 2002

   Notorious for saying "It works quite well as legend", as he dismissed
   the Nativity story's Three Kings, snow, star and cattle, the week
   before Christmas

   Most unfortunate predecessors Alphege (beaten to death by Danes using
   ox bones, 1012); Thomas a Becket (assassinated, 1170); Simon Sudbury
   (beheaded by peasants, 1381); Thomas Cranmer (burned at the stake,
   1556)

   Bishop of London

   Incumbent Rt Rev and Rt Hon Richard Chartres, since 1995

   Notorious for saying "Making selfish choices such as flying on holiday
   or buying a large car are a symptom of sin"

   Most unfortunate predecessor Nicholas Ridley (burned at the stake,
   1555)

   Holy writ:

   Canon C18 Of diocesan bishops

   Every bishop is, within his diocese, the principal minister, and to
   him belongs the right . . . of ordering, controlling and authorising
   all services in churches

   Canon C8 paragraph 2 Of ministers exercising their ministry

   A minister duly ordained priest or deacon . . . may officiate in any
   place only after he has received authority to do so from the bishop of
   the diocese . . . Save that: (a) The minister having the cure of souls
   of a church . . . may allow a minister . . . to minister within their
   church or chapel for a period of not more than seven days . . .
   without reference to the bishop

   Source: Canons of the Church of England