GAFCON: Major Gaffe

Bishops of the Anglican Communion,

It's 2008, not 1208. Hello? GAFCON threatens to drive the Communion
back
to the Dark Ages. There is no Good News in gaffes of this magnitude.

Louie Crew, PhD, DD, DD, DHL
Newark Deputation to General Convention

PRESS RELEASE

Contact:

The Rt Revd Suheil Dawani
Anglican Bishop in Jerusalem
Bishop~Rs Office
Diocese of Jerusalem
bishop@j-diocese.org

Re: Global Anglican Future Conference planned for the Holy Land in
June
2008

The Anglican Bishop in Jerusalem, Bishop Suheil Dawani, has expressed
his
concern about the Global Anglican Future Conference planned for the
Holy
Land in June this year.

~SRegrettably, I have not been consulted about this planned
conference,~T
said Bishop Suheil. ~SThe first I learned of it was through a press
release.

~SI am aware that the post-Christmas announcement that this
conference is
to be held here has excited considerable interest around the Anglican
Communion, and has become the subject of online discussion. Yet we
Anglicans who minister here have been left out in the cold.

~SI also note that the Archbishop of Sydney, Dr Peter Jensen, who
appears
to be one of the organisers, is encouraging clergy and lay people
from his
diocese to attend the conference with him and his bishops. He speaks
of
the meeting taking place because the Anglican Communion is, he says,
~Qin
disarray over fundamental issues of the gospel and biblical
authority~R.

~SI am deeply troubled that this meeting, of which we had no prior
knowledge, will import inter-Anglican conflict into our diocese,
which
seeks to be a place of welcome for all Anglicans.

~SIt could also have serious consequences for our ongoing ministry of
reconciliation in this divided land. Indeed, it could further inflame
tensions here. We who minister here know only too well what happens
when
two sides cease talking to each other. We do not want to see any
further
dividing walls!

~SI believe our Primate, Dr Mouneer Hanna Anis,is also concerned
about this
event. His advice to the organizers that this was not the right time
or
place for such a meeting was ignored.~T

~SI urge the organizers to reconsider this conference urgently.~T

__._,_.___ Messages in this topic (1) Reply (via web post) | Start a
new topic
Messages | Files | Photos | Links | Database | Polls | Members |
Calendar
MARKETPLACE

Visit Your Group
Yahoo! News