"Two cannot calk together except they are in agreement" (Amos 3:30)

  • Subject: "Two cannot calk together except they are in agreement" (Amos 3:30)
  • From: Louie Crew <lcrew@ANDROMEDA.RUTGERS.EDU>
  • Date: Fri, 4 Jan 2008 08:34:08 -0500

The Bishop of London now says that he was not miffed with ++Rowan. Also, the
organizers of GAFFECON claim they did contact the Bishop of Jerusalem and,
as if that were enough, they are going forward with their gathering whether
he likes it or not. Whew!

Yesterday a bishop in Nigeria wrote me:

> What is your point, that the conference is not
> necessary or that the venue should be changed?
> Remember that two cannot walk together except they are
> in agreement (Amos 3:3). When you no longer believe
> what I believe about Biblical authority, about the
> person and work of Christ and other fundamental issues
> of the gospel and church authority, then how can we
> still be together?
>
> I cannot live in the same house with you if you regard
> water as a necessity for life while I regard it as a
> poison; if you regard salt as harmful to the body
> while I regard it as very useful; if you regard the WC
> as a place to defecate while I feel it should be done
> on the floor of the bathroom. Obviously we cannot use
> the same water or eat the same food nor can we use the
> same toilet. That is where the communion is at the
> moment. God help us.

The bishop has no idea what I believe about Biblical authority and no idea
about the person and work of Christ in my own life. Each of us has
doctorates galore, but argument won't help us to see and respect each other
as brother disciples. Segregating will assure long delays in that kind of
mutuality.

We must find better ways to be in real communion with one another.