RE: [HoB/D] Love the Sinner, Hate the Sin

                            Neighbor

               Our neighbor's a fag and bakes good cakes,
                    as parents are careful to warn children.
               But he's just an undertaker,
                    so there ain't much way
               he could harm no living thing.

               He even married wunts,
                    to a widow schoolteacher;
               but their maid let out
                    how the two lived in separate parts
               of the house right from the beginning,
                    and the teacher, being sickly,
               conveniently upped and died real soon.

               I think those boys were wrong to beat him up
                    when he wrote the paper about Anita.
               A little sugar in his gas tank
                    or a few discreet breathing calls
               oughta been enough to keep him scared
                    to make another public move.

               We ain't got nothin gainst queers, really,
                    long's they don't do nothin or tell nobody.
               We never have let the Baptists
                    tell us how to run our lives.

                          -- Louie Crew, 1980

  Has appeared:

  Gruene Street March 1997.
  Journal of Gay & Lesbian Social Service~ 7.3 (1997)
  Rural Gays and Lesbians  An anthology edited by James D. Smith and
    Ronald Mancoske.  NY:  Harrington Park Press, 1997.  106-107.