RE: [HoB/D] Love the Sinner, Hate the Sin

> Comment from ****** *******:
>
> I cannot remember when I first heard the expression in question, but I'm
> pretty sure it was in my Baptist Sunday School days in the 1950s and 60s,
> long before any sexual issues were on my radar screen. I can't speak to how
> anybody else uses or understands it, but in my universe, at least, it is not
> limited to a single issue application.
>
> And FWIW, John, I'm quite content to live in a church with diversity of
> opinion on this and other issues, even when my opinions are not welcome by
> others in that diversity. If my mind has not been changed by open discussion
> and dialogue, I'm certainly not alone.

****, in my Baptist Sunday School days "Nigra" was the polite term -- much
politer than the term most heard outside Sunday School.  It took an awful
long time before people changed to 'Black', and some still think they should
be able to use 'Nigra' since they mean it to be polite.

Many changed to the 'new' form not out of conviction that they had been
wrong, but out of awareness that more and more saw them as rude and
bull-headed in persisting to use a form that offended those whom they were
talking about.

I really don't give a tinker's malediction that you have not changed your
mind, but I beseech you and others in all charity not use "Love the sinner;
hate the sin" in this discourse community. It is extremely offensive to me
and to many here.

"Therefore, if food causes my brother to stumble, I will never eat meat
again, so that I will not cause my brother to stumble.... Give no offense,
neither to the Jews, nor to the Gentiles, nor to the church of God"  (1
Corinthians 10:32, 8:13)

In the name of God, stop it!

Louie, Newark deputy