LGBT Prayers for the Lambeth Conference 2008: A Call for Manuscripts

I intend to publish "LGBT Prayers for the Lambeth Conference 2008." Please
write prayers to be considered for this collection and send them to me by
private email: Louie Crew lcrew@andromeda.rutgers.edu

I expect to publish at least one prayer for each of the 19 days of the
Conference (July 16-August 3), and possibly more than one prayer for some
of the days. I will publish with each prayer the author's name, parish,
and diocese. The deadline to be considered is May 1st.

"LGBT Prayers for the Lambeth Conference 2008" will not identify the
writer's sexual orientation. Submit only if you are comfortable that many
readers will presume for you an lgbt orientation. At one point Riverside
Church in NYC provided sanctuary for refugees. To prevent government
officials from seizing refugees, William Sloan Coffin passed out
head-sized brown paper bags with holes for the eyes and mouth, to be worn
by any who felt a need, always including several who were actually not
refugees. All who are not lgbt will be considered honorary lgbt persons
for the purpose of this project.

For example, what prayer would you write as "A Primate's Prayer for LGBTs"
aware that many primates may never have prayed for lgbts specifically?
Taking my cues from Jesus, I might write, "God of all mercy, use the same
standard in judging my sins that I use in judging lesbians, gays,
bisexuals and the transgendered. Teach me to love my lgbt neighbors as
much as I love myself. Bless all of the lgbt persons who are dear to me,
most especially _____, _____, _____....."

Even so come, Lord Jesus.

Louie

Louie Crew, 377 S. Harrison St., 12d, East Orange, NJ 07018. 973-395-1068
http://andromeda.rutgers.edu/~lcrew

                               P.S.

Please share this call for prayers widely. Consider publishing it in your
parish newsletter and posting it in your parish hall.