RE: The Power of Sexism

Thank you for sharing your friend's note.  I grieve to give her
offense.

I have never claimed to speak for women. In my comments at the
diocesan convention I focused on the anti-gay texts which were
proscribed by the resolution.  I have experienced anguish from those
all of my life.  Yet and still, I do not want them banished from our
liturgy.

Speaking against the resolution at convention I noted that I have
hoped for years that Romans 1:17 would be assigned on my watch as a
lector.  When I returned to my convention table, a member of my
parish delegation pointed to "Romans 1:17" that she has written in
her notes, and asked me what it is.   I told her to read it but to be
sure to get to Romans 2:1, which was not put off into a separate
chapter in the original biblical text.  .....  "Then we will talk
about it," I said.    It is this type of engagement that I want to
encourage.

Scripture says that a man who lies with a man as with a woman shall
be put to death (Leviticus 20:13) .  (I rejoice in the accidental
benefit of sexism here, in that women did not get noticed enough to
be covered by this.)  I have repeatedly told bishops and other church
leaders that I am willing to submit to capital punishment at their
hands so long as the press and the sheriff are present.  So far, not
one has had the courage of his [sic] convictions.   Again, I
encourage this type of engagement.

Well-meaning friends of lgbt people often have no awareness of this
text as a part of scripture.  Those who create the lectionary
fumigate it from our offerings.  It never shows up.  Yet Arthur Dong
in his important documentary of 7 men on death row for murdering gay
men found that all 7 of them knew that verse!  (The film is called
Licensed to Kill.)  How will we equip the saints for this hard
ministry if we keep them ignorant of the forces of darkness that lurk
even in the dark places of scripture?

I applaud adding more positive images of those who suffer from bible
abuse.  We have an obligation to do that, in abundance.  Most of our
time should be given to the more positive images, but never with any
suggestion that the other texts are not there, often performing
lethal damage on the minds of those who believe them to be "the Word
of God."

During the McGovern campaign in 1972, I was teaching at a black
Methodist College in Orangeburg, SC, and with many others I was
involved in an intensive campaign to register voters.  One very
bright student from a privileged family (both parents with
doctorates, 4 family cars, a huge swimming pool.... .the works)  was
assigned to go with me into one of the poorest neighborhoods in the
world to register voters.  After he had witnessed at close range the
wretchedness of dirt floors, the children who were skin and bones and
were nearly naked in rags.....in about four or five shacks, the young
man got into my car and fell into my arms crying with bitter moaning,
heaving with tears.  "Man, he said, "I had no idea anyone has to live
like this.  And every one of them is black like me....."

His family thought they were doing him a great service isolating him
as much as they could from the consequences many have to pay for
systemic racism.  And maybe they were doing him a service.  It must
have been a hard call for them.  I acknowledge my arrogance in
suggesting otherwise, especially 36 years and 9 presidential
campaigns later.   But those shacks are still there and still filled
with naked and hungry children in many parts of this country.

Heterosexism and racism are intransigent.  They won't go away merely
because we refuse to look at the parts of our sacred texts  that
underwrite them.    On these matters, the bible has yet to earn the
honorific 'holy.'   How much else is presented to me as 'the word of
God' that I have not yet discovered to be a violent distortion?

As I said in my earlier reply to you, likely worship is not the best
setting in which to pursue the complicated issues that I raised at
convention, but worship is about the only exposure that most
Episcopalians get to scripture, alas, so it seems proper to begin the
difficult discussion there.

Louie

To this The Rev. Elizabeth Kaeton replied: