RE: Why Do So Many Leaders in the Anglican Communion Hate The Episcopal Church?

  • To: Bishop ***** ******
  • Subject: RE: Why Do So Many Leaders in the Anglican Communion Hate The Episcopal Church?
  • From: Louie Crew <lcrew@andromeda.rutgers.edu>
  • Date: Thu, 7 Feb 2008 09:33:41 -0500 (EST)

Gentle Bishop ********,

Thank you for your letter of January 20th.  I am grateful for your continued
willingness to engage me in electronic conversation.  I hope that someday we
might meet face to face.

It appears that you have made up your mind already and that "no amount of
argument" will get to you.  Yet I do not come to you seeking your
justification or approval.  Jesus has already redeemed me.  Jesus has
already placed my sins as far away from me as the East is from the West.  I
do not come to you seeking to be let in, but as a brother disciple already
let in by God's grace, which is still amazing, still abundant.

When I imagine gentile Christians showing up at the Council of Jerusalem
without Paul, on their own, bearing witness to the Good News that Paul had
shared with them, I can appreciate any disorientation you might have with my
Gospel witness.

Gays like straights can and do sin, and when we do, we need to repent and
turn to God.

I do not understand my loving commitment to Ernest Clay for the last 34
years to be a sin -- for better or worse, for richer or poorer, in sickness
and in health, to death do us part.  My sin is not that I love Ernest, but
that I do not love him as much as I love myself. For that I steadily repent
and seek amendment of life.

Even if I am wrong in my understanding of my sin -- and I might be wrong,
just as you might be wrong -- I am not wrong in my understanding of God,
whose property is always to have mercy.  God hears us when we confess and
ask to be forgiven of our sins "known and unknown."

Your view puts you in an awkward and finally indefensible position of
treating all lgbt relationships alike, as if a life-long commitment is the
same as a one-time visit to a prostitute.  Is it any surprise that lgbts who
take your point of view seriously sometimes conclude, "Why bother with
commitment if I am going to be damned anyway?"

Suppose you are wrong -- and you may be, just as I may be -- are you
prepared to live with the consequences?

You say that you love lgbts, and I have no doubt that you mean what you say,
but what part of your ministry have you spent in reaching out to lbgts in
your own diocese?  What have you done in councils of bishops in Africa to
reduce the fierce and unChristian rhetoric of condemning homosexual persons
as "lower than pigs and dogs"?

Jesus tells us to ask God to use the same standard in judging us that we use
in judging those who have sinned against us.  Are you prepared to be judged
by the same standard you use in judging gay and lesbian people?  Am I
prepared to be judged by the same standard that I use in responding to your
categorizations of me?

We see each other from afar, the public selves.  Yet locally we are judged
by the fruits of the spirit. "The fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace,
patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control.
Against such things there is no law." (Galatians 5:19-23).

Those who know me best at close range do not describe me as driven by lust
or greed, or wickedness, but as manifesting the fruits of the spirit.  They
have not noticed in me any sickness, nor has my work for the church or the
university been marked by any such dysfunction.

Those who know me best understand that in bearing witness to that, they risk
sharing the stigma that you and many other Christians have for lgbt people.
Read what my bishop wrote of me in presenting me with the bishop's cross,
the highest honor given in my diocese --
http://andromeda.rutgers.edu/~lcrew/bishopscross.html.  I note that like me,
you have not only a Ph.D. but also an honorary doctorate. (VTS?)  Read what
three seminaries of The Episcopal Church have said about me in awarding me
honorary doctorates --

Episcopal Divinity School http://andromeda.rutgers.edu/~lcrew/dd.html
General Theological Seminary http://andromeda.rutgers.edu/~lcrew/dd_gts.html
Church Divinity School of the Pacific
http://andromeda.rutgers.edu/~lcrew/dhl_cdsp.html

They know me up close, you from afar.

Their praise seems awfully inflated to me.  I am very aware of my
inadequacies, very aware of my sins, and am overwhelmed by God's generosity.
I know how to grovel, but God does not want me to grovel. "I have not called
you slaves, but friends."  It would sometimes be so much easier to be God's
slave than to accept the responsibility of being God's friend.

You and I are God's friends.  I hope we might be friends of each other,
quite beyond any judgments or assessments we might make were we God sitting
in judgment on the other. I rejoice that we are not God. I rejoice that we
both are God's own, forever.

Love, Louie, sinner saved by God's grace

P.S.

In your post script you ask, "what will happen if all of us becomes
homosexual?"

That does not seem likely.  You outnumber us at least 9 to 1.

------