On the ground, as it were, with Leviticus 20:13

  • Subject: On the ground, as it were, with Leviticus 20:13
  • From: Louie Crew <lcrew@ANDROMEDA.RUTGERS.EDU>
  • Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2008 11:11:19 -0500

I remember being in NYC for a board meeting of NGLTF back in 1976. In the
wee hours of the morning I barely missed a train to my host's in Brooklyn
and had to wait another hour, as did an octogenarian rabbi, huffing and
puffing down the stairs just behind me.

Intrigued with the lavender pants suit I had made for myself, he struck up a
long conversation that at one point turned to his heavy importuning for me
to come home with him.

I teased, "But rabbi, Leviticus says that you should not lie with a man as
with a woman."  "Honey, I have no intention of doing that.  I want to lie
with you as with a man."

That was my introduction to midrash.