Re: [HoB/D] Open Communion

On Sun, 17 Feb 2008, *********  wrote:

> No organization whether it is ecclesiastical or social can exist for long
> when those who are its officers and spokespersons cannot agree on
> something
> this essential.

I disagree.

The Anglican Communion existed for several hundred years precisely because
it allows a wide diversity of views.  We have consistently refused to write
confessional statements to resolve differences. Unity and uniformity are not
the same.  Our strength, now sorely tested for sure, will be in our ability
to love one another across our differences, not the power to force
differences to disappear.

> The discussion reveals painfully and sadly why we continue to fall apart.

Are we in danger of falling apart merely because we disagree?  We will be in
far more danger, I believe, if we require one point of view, be it yours or
mine.

Louie, L1 Newark 09