Expect a major revelation about Rt. Rev. Paul Moore, Jr., in THE NEW YOR...

  • Subject: Expect a major revelation about Rt. Rev. Paul Moore, Jr., in THE NEW YOR...
  • From: lcrew@andromeda.rutgers.edu
  • Date: Tue, 19 Feb 2008 15:25:44 EST

Honor Moore, the oldest of Paul Moore, Jr.'s nine children, reveals some
major surprises about her father in a new book, THE BISHOP'S DAUGHTER,
which will be released on May 19th.  The next issue of THE NEW YORKER (due
out on March 1st) will carry a substantial advance excerpt from the book
-- an excerpt which discloses the secret.

For those too young to know, Paul Moore, Jr. was the Bishop of New York
from 1972 to 1989.  He died on May Day, 2003.)

I read the book in an early draft many, many months ago.  Hold onto your
seats.

A tiny excerpt, without the big secret, appears at
http://tinyurl.com/235gt4

In ADAM BEDE, George Eliot wrote, "If you would maintain the slightest
belief in human heroism, you must never make a pilgrimage to see the
hero."

I disagree. THE BISHOP's DAUGHTER takes us on a pilgrimage at close range
with one of my heroes, and he survives the scrutiny.

Honor Moore will be accused of being an iconoclast, but she is not.  Flesh
and blood icons are far more valuable than those made of marble or
granite.

The book is also deeply moving about the bishop's daughter, its main, if
not its most sensational, subject.

Louie
Louie Crew, 377 S. Harrison St., 12d, East Orange, NJ 07018.  973-395-1068