Re: what are you thinking...

> about the whole thing with Obama and his previous pastor Rev. Wright?  I
> thought your analysis would be very much worth asking for, being one of
> the few southern white men I've ever met who is at home in a black church
> and who has thought deeply about these issues.

I loved Obama's speech.   I also have a high regard for Wright.  I do
believe that God damns the U.S. invasion in Iraq.

The episode starkly reveals how limited the capacity for empathy is for
many white Americans.

Obama is thoroughly in both the white and the black communities, and
therefore outstandingly positioned to lead us all.

Many of his attackers have little empathy with the current white victims of
the immigrant experience either -- whom Obama vividly and sympathetically
described.

What a marvelous opportunity Obama's speech affords us to get into serious
conversation about race in America, but it is so much easier to attack the
messenger.

It is always good to hear from you.

Love,