RE: [HoB/D] As Earth Day Approaches

I have just watched CRUDE AWAKENING, a documentary of the rapidity with
which we are guzzling the diminishing supply of fossil fuel.   Some say the
planet has only 20 years of supply left; others say it's only 10 years, as
more and more are demanding a share.  Almost every Chinese person expects to
own a car within 10 years, for example.

The few remaining big sources of fossil fuel are in some of the most
unstable places in the world. The average annual income in Saudi Arabia 20
years about was about $20,000, but now it is closer to $800 -- except for
the oil billionaires, whom the US military protects to assure our access to
oil.  Saudi Arabia's most ominous export has become Islamic fundamentalism,
fueling conflict throughout all oil rich countries. The genocide in the
Sudan is a deliberate attempt to lay claim to the oil.  Chinese soldiers
guard the pipelines, much as the U.S. guards the Saudi billionaires.

Most people are in denial about the risk of society's collapse as the oil
runs out. What public voice does the Episcopal Church have in these regards?
Or do we risk terminal earwax?

The earth sustained human life for thousands of years with no trouble.   Oil
was unimportant to our way of life until less than 200 years ago. The oil
glut of the last 100 years has completely changed the way we live.

Will we be able to live more simply again, or will we destroy the planet in
competing for the last barrels of crude?

Almost all of our other ethical concerns pale if we cannot find a way to
live within the means of the good earth that God has provided us.

Do watch this film.  It's available through Netflix.

See other films recommended by Episcopalians at http://tinyurl.com/oac8d