RE: [HoB/D] Oil & Medicine]

XXXX, I sincerely hope that you are right and that the many scientists who
appear in CRUDE AWAKENING are wrong.

I agree with you when you state:  "The fact is no one knows how much oil we
have."

However we all know that we are not breeding and burying any more dinosaurs.
The supply of fossil fuel is limited and rapidly diminishing; the demand for
it is escalating dramatically.  It will run out.  For me, key questions are

    What systemic plans would assure an orderly withdrawal
    of our dependence on fossil fuel?

    or, heaven help us:

    Which generations of our descendants will have to
    pay the penalty for our prodigality?

The closest you come to addressing these concerns is to offer a vague
optimism and trust that those making profits from the current system will
adequately prepare for the time fossil fuels have run out.

You overact to my report of CRUDE AWAKENING in that you react to attacks
that the movie does not make and that I did not make, such as your defense
of the oil industry regarding oil spills.  It appears that any criticism of
our current oil gluttony prompts from you a boilerplate response.

Instead of replying to me directly, you write to everyone else about me:
"Louie, I am afraid, has been taken in by propaganda....."   That sounds
like a lawyer's way to say, "Poor dupe.  Don't listen to him."

You might have begun, "Louie, the scientists in CRUDE AWAKENING give a
different report from the scientists I encountered at Texas A&M and at the
University of Texas, and in the State of Texas where I practice law.   To
assure that I am not simply parroting the oil industry's point of view, I

I have not been taken in by CRUDE AWAKENING nor by you.   I have been taken
in by the questions we all need to be asking.

For now, I propose that all future use of fossil fuels carry a heavy tax,
the revenue of which to go directly to fund research and development of
alternative energy.  I do not trust the leadership of the oil industry to
look beyond its profit margins for the next two generations.  We need much
longer term strategy if we are to be prepared.