RE: [HoB/D] Albany: "We CAN discriminate"

> I'm curious how far along in the discernment process a candidate in
> Newark would get if they were of the conviction that same-sex sexual
> relationships were incompatible with scripture and contrary to the faith
> handed down, and refused to bless or recognize them?  Perhaps you can
> honestly say it would have no bearing in the committee's consideration,
> I honestly don't know.

A candidate from one of our two parishes affiliated with the American
Anglican Council went through the process with flying colors on my watch as
president of the Standing Committee a few years ago, and I am certain that
she would get through the process now, here and elsewhere.  She is now a
fine priest.

Why would you think our process would block someone with whom we disagree
theologically?

I know the secret to being a good priest, and I am surprised that so few
seem to know it.  It's not hard to figure out.  It has nothing to do with
theological correctness, nothing to do with brilliance, nothing to do with
charisma -- regardless of how much we may value such things.  Simply put, to
be successful, priests must love God with all their heart, mind, soul, and
strength," and second "they must love their congregation -- everyone in it,
especially those with whom they disagree.  The successful priests must put
the congregation's needs before their own, must be with them in sickness and
in health, for better or worse.  Abandon all interest in careerism and the
priests' next move.  God will take care of all of that.