RE: [HoB/D] Unique union

Alas, for poor Dr. Jensen:  as he already anticipates, dictionaries are not
prepared by God nor by cultural arbiters, but by linguists committed to a
careful description of the language as actually used by respected writers in
widely read publications.

Thirty years ago, I complained to D. Guralnik, Editor of Webster's New World
Dictionary, that his   dictionary gave to the word "gay" no meaning of
"homosexual." I asked whether he had gone out the business of reporting real
usage by respected writers.

"No," replied Dr. Guralinik. He suggested that I should buy a more recent
edition, the preparation for which his dictionary had accumulated several
citations of my own usage of "gay" in professional journals as a part of its
evidence.  Robin Green reported this correspondence in "Straightening Out
the Word 'Gay',"  [Toronto] September 11, 1978: 8.

Perhaps I should buy a new edition yet again, for surely any good dictionary
will soon have to reflect the broader definition of "marriage" as written
about in Massachusetts, in Holland, .....

I agree with Dr. Jensen that we should value what happens when two people
publicly promise each other to live in lifelong and exclusive relationship,
"in sickness and in health, and forsaking all others so long as you both
shall live."  Ernest and I rejoice that ++Peter and Christine have
undertaken the same awesome commitment we have, and we wish them all the
best in living into those vows, with God's help.

We don't need a new word for these unions, nor should we distract from them
by inspecting the plumbing.

Louie, Newark L1