[HoB/D] Why remain in the Anglican Communion?

> The question is, what is TEC willing to do to reach a compromise?
> Because, as one kibitzer friend reminded me off-list in discussion
> as TEC is in, then ++Katharine is at the table in meetings of the
> Primates, and TEC retains a voice on behalf of GLBT sisters and
> brothers who in some provinces are actively persecuted.

A good reason, yes, but there are more reasons for us to remain in
the Anglican Communion:

* collaboration with other Anglicans in doing ministry

* sustaining our rich heritage of common traditions of worship

* discovering our flaws from those bound to us with affection

* bearing loving testimony regarding flaws we see elsewhere

* receiving the insights of those who live out their faith powerfully with
remarkably less resources than we have

* having a wide network of friendship when we collaborate with others to
respond to natural disasters

* major checks on our spiritual pride and arrogance

* major help in avoiding making God in our own image, by encountering God in
so many people who do not look like us or agree with us

* major ways to see Jesu in the neighbors we have from Jesu

And so many, many more.

TEC has no monopoly on the Truth, nor does any one of the other 37 provinces
of the Anglican Communion.  We need each other, especially when we find
ourselves not liking each other.

Let's stay at that table prayerfully, lovingly even should some physically
try to eject us.  Love does not insist on having its own way.   Love is
patient and kind.   Love bears all things.

Louie, Newark L1