Miscellaneous details for deputies to GC 2009

I prepared this for our deputation meeting tomorrow, and it occurs to me
that the material may be of interest to others on this list.

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Tuesday, June 24, 2008 2:56 PM
To: Newark Deputation to GC 2003
Subject: [nwkdeps] Miscellaneous details for our deputation

July 8th, 2008, is the deadline for all dioceses to elect deputies
(one year before the opening of the 2009 GC). The form for indicating
legislative committee preference will be sent to all deputies in September.

Here is a list of legislative committees in 2006. Others may also be
formed:

Note: committee numbers are important, as often they are the easiest
way to follow committee reports, committee hearing dates, and the
like.

01 Dispatch of Business
02 Certification of Minutes
03 Rules of Order
04 Constitution
05 Canons
06 Structure
07 Consecration of Bishops
08 World Mission
09 National and International Concerns
10 Social and Urban Affairs
11 Church in Small Communities
12 Evangelism
13 Prayer Book, Liturgy and Church Music
14 Ministry
15 Education
16 Church Pension Fund
17 Stewardship and Development
18 Ecumenical Relations
19 Communications
23 Credentials
25 Program, Budget and Finance
26 Special Legislative Committee

Of the 843 deputies at GC 2006, only 472 (56%) were appointed to
legislative committees.

Usually first-time deputies are not appointed, but at the last
two General Conventions, more first-timers have served, especially
those from categories otherwise under-represented (such as deputies
under 30).

Alternates are not eligible to serve on committees.

Those not on committees may attend the meeting of any committee.
Indeed, I encourage you to find one committee, attend all of its
sessions, and do everything you can (especially as a resourceful
gofer) to facilitate the work of that committee. Choose a committee
that best connects with your own interests. Report back to our
deputation at our evening meetings regarding your observations, and
especially note when key hearings are scheduled at which others in the
deputation may want to testify.

If you registered for a full packet (as did all deputies and first
alternates) at the last GC, you have received a copy of the 2006
Constitution and Canons, which also includes the Rules of Order that
govern our meetings.

If you do not have a copy of the C&C, you may download one in pdf
format at
http://www.episcopalarchives.org/e-archives/canons/CandC_FINAL_11.29.2006.pd
A copy of the C&C will also be at our deputation's tables in the House
of Deputies.

If you want electronic copy of the Journal of the 75th Convention
(2006), you may download it at
http://www.episcopalchurch.org/documents/75th_Journal.pdf

A copy of the BLUE BOOK for the 2006 convention may be downloaded at
http://www.churchpublishing.org/general_convention/index.cfm?fuseaction=blue
book
and it may be accessed for online use at
http://www.episcopalarchives.org/e-archives/bluebook/

General Convention in 2009 will be the 76th General Convention. It
helps to remember that number, 76,

It is also helpful to memorize the most important phone number for
those serving TEC beyond the diocese: 800-334-7626. That connects
you to the main switchboard at the Church Center, and from there, to
satellite offices throughout the church, including, e.g., the Episcopal
Archives in Austen, TX. I find it helpful to know in advance the name
of a person, or failing that, a specific office before I call rather
than to depend on the switchboard operators to direct my call.

I hope some of this is helpful for you. I have information on every
deputy and provide specialized lists that may match some of your
special interests (such as seminaries attended, people of a given age
range, deputies of color, deans of cathedrals who are deputies,
deputies with legal training, lgbt deputies.....)