Phobia and Meanness at GAFCON

  • To: Bishops of the Anglican Communion
  • Subject: Phobia and Meanness at GAFCON
  • From: Louie Crew <lcrew@andromeda.rutgers.edu>
  • Date: Fri, 27 Jun 2008 14:35:24 -0400 (EDT)

Gentle bishop of the Anglican Communion,

This report appears today in the London TIMES in an article titled
"Church within a church" -- regarding the current GAFCON gathering in

> Conference organisers have tried to avoid an obsession with the gay issue
> and were privately furious when a junior volunteer, acting out of misguided
> zeal, gave security staff a list of pro-gay activists "not allowed in" to
> the conference. This list - obtained by The Times and featuring a cast
> now known in the blogosphere as the "Gafcon 8" - made the conference
> appear far more militant than it is. The Bishop of Jerusalem's new
> chaplain was one of those on the list.

You can view the flier used to ban me and seven others from GAFCON at
It appeared earlier in the TIMES.

If the conference organizers are furious, they have been very private
about it indeed.  Not one of them has contacted me, nor addressed the
false witness they have given regarding the eight of us throughout the

I challenge the conference organizers to invite the "GAFCON 8" to
each of their dioceses to witness to what Jesus is doing among those
whom they excluded.

A gay person who loves Jesus should frighten no one. Jesus spends most of
his time with outcasts and has words of contempt for those who
vaunt their own righteousness.

A diminished god like Baal is no competition for Jesus, Who loves absolutely

Turn to God and be saved from fear.  Be born again, of a new spirit!

Louie, member of the GAFCON 8, co-chair of the Newark deputation to
   General Convention

Louie Crew, 377 S. Harrison St., 12D, E. Orange, NJ 07018 973-395-1068
http://www.gracechurchinnewark.org/  Home of "America the Beautiful"