RE: [HoB/D] This is very much a matter of stewardship

> As I said, I have no problem with accountability and consequences.
>
> Louie, I will ask you in the interest of mutual accountability: Would you
> support the same consequences of loss of voting privileges for delegations
> from dioceses that do not uphold the 3 Windsor moratoria? Such as
> California?

While I was on Executive Council (2000-2006), I consistently voted to pay
the amounts requested of TEC in the budget of the Anglican Consultative
Council (ACC), even while the ACC acted against TEC's points of view and
even when three different primates excoriated me publicly.

I repeatedly requested, and was never given, a detailed accounting of the
revenue and debits of the ACC.   The best I was offered appears at
http://rci.rutgers.edu/~lcrew/gallery/ACC03-05.JPG.  You will note that TEC
pays 30% of that budget, not counting huge contributions that go to the
Communion through other sources within TEC.  (Of course, your diocese and
others who pay nothing to the budget of TEC pay no part of that 30%; that
has left you lots of money to spend on ideological/political networks within
the Communion.)

My votes to support the ACC budget were not popular with many who share my
point of view in TEC:  that's a cost of leadership.  One votes on principle,
not based on what will sell easily to persons in the pew or the pulpit.

If TEC were ever to vote not to pay our share of the ACC budget, I would be
in favor of any ACC action to remove our vote.  I voted against giving up
our vote voluntarily in Nottingham when I was on Council, since the Primates
have no authority to ask us to give it up, and when we did give it up, they,
in the way of bullies, seized more power for themselves when our
representatives were out of the room.

Only General Convention has juridical authority over TEC, as spelled out in
our Constitution and Canons.

The ACC claims no juridical authority in its own governing documents to make
demands on us, only requests.  Our bonds are those of affection, not rules.
As a deputy I would vote not to give juridical authority to the ACC in
whatever guise that authority is requested, even if through the covenant
process.   Even if those in the ACC vote to kick us out, I would vote to
continue to collaborate in ministry and to share God's bounty with all in
need who are willing.  I would never vote to sell my conscience for a bowl
of unity.

As current secretary of the Joint Standing Nominating Committee of General
Convention, I am appalled at your calumny in suggesting that we would
systemically exclude candidates who do not share the views of the majority
of the voters at recent General Conventions.  I gave dozens of hours
promoting the nomination process in every conservative, reasserter site to
which I could gain access, willingly enduring snide personal attacks on me
at some of those sites.  The committee itself is diverse:  two of the three
bishops who served on it oversee dioceses that sent to the TEC budget less
than half the amount TEC requested.  I am pleased that our slate, which will
be announced in the BLUE BOOK, will give voters in Anaheim an opportunity to
choose very talented people from a wide diversity of point of view.   We
were blessed with more applications than ever before.

I am glad that you have been spared the language of "punish the Episcopal
Church."  I have not been spared.  It was especially pronounced at the
American Anglican Council meeting in Dallas in October 2003, where those in
attendance were urged to commit to hurting TEC financially, as I noted in an
earlier post.

While I disagree with that point of view, I respect candor from some of
those who hold it.

You were barely two years old when I met my husband, and three years old
when I founded Integrity.  I hope that the church you serve will manifest
more candor and more kindness than has the church I have served.

Joy anyway!  The Episcopal Church is a lovely catacomb.  We are here to
serve, not to be served.  It is God who invites us, and She loves absolutely
everybody.