Re: [HoB/D] Walking in the Minefield

> B033, however binding, has no enforcement mechanism attached to it.

That's one of B033's worst features:  In passing it, my colleagues refused
to take responsibility for the discrimination they established.

B033 underwrites caprice.  It specifically urges others to do its dirty
work:  search committees, electors, and those who exercise the power of
consent. They work behind closed doors.  It is impossible to hold them
accountable for they interpret "whose manner of life presents a challenge to
the wider communion."

Everyone knows that in context of our life in the Anglican Communion "those
whose manner of life...." targeted most immediately lesbians and gays, but
the resolution backed off from that candor and specificity to protect those
who discriminate as B033 urges them to do.

If those who voted for B033 had named lesbians and gays as the specific
target for the discrimination, they would have openly violated the canons of
this church.  (See the relevant canons at
http://andromeda.rutgers.edu/~lcrew/docs.html#canons).  B033 lets them sneak
when violating those canons.

B033 manipulates episcopal elections with an economic strong arm worthy of
the Mafia:  Suppose one discerns that the person most qualified of all the
nominees is lesbian or gay. Is it responsible to vote for someone whose
election might force the diocese to have to start another election from
scratch if not enough consent?  What diocese is in a financial position to
risk substantial jeopardy to ongoing diocesan ministry for another year or
more?

As co-chair of our Search Committee for an election during this triennium, I
experienced B033 as an ungodly violation of the Holy Spirit, an attempt of
my colleagues at General Convention to tell the Holy Spirit to shut up
regarding lbgt candidates.

Bishops active now were consecrated at an average age of 49.7. Very few are
consecrated when older than 56.  B033 virtually closed down access of the
church to the most talented lbgts currently in that age range.  How long do
you want intend to underwrite this discrimination?