[DeputyOnlineForum] Fw: B033

> From: *********
>
> bitter fruit for gays and lesbians --- many I know have given up on
> TEC - and drifted away - who could blame them --- telling others go to
> the cross for us -- re: KJS "standing in the crucified place"

B033 has not been a healthy fruit for heterosexuals either.   Stinginess is
bitter when you start practicing it, but easier to swallow with each bite.
Some of the stingiest have drifted away from TEC too.

The only antidote to B033 is love.

Shortly after General Convention in 2006, I received a phone call from
someone who identified himself as Nigerian.

"I am Father X _____.  Do you remember me?  I called you a few months ago to
tell you how evil you are?  I was very unkind."

"Sorry, Father, that doesn't help me remember," I teased.  Several call to
say things like that.  What can I do for you?"

"I need to meet with you.   I have read some of the things you say on your
website.  You do not return evil for evil.   You sound like a real
Christian, and even if you did not, as a Christian I should have been kind,
not abusive.  I am appalled at the things I said to you before. I need your
forgiveness.  Can we have lunch?"

"You had my forgiveness before you felt a need to ask for it, from the same
source of all forgiveness, and yes, let's do have lunch.

We have had meals together several times, and I have visited his
congregation.    His wife is a housekeeper in a hotel in Manhattan.   One of
his sons, a prominent writer, visited from his current job in Holland.  The
family had me over for a Nigerian feast, and they sent me home with enough
for feasts for the following week.    The son told his dad that no one in
his circle of writers has any problems relating to gay people.

"I still haven't changed my views about homosexuality," Father X____ said to
me.

"Nor have I, "  I replied.  We both smiled as we embraced as friends.

What a joy to extend Christ's hospitality of the holy table across 'enemy
lines'!

What action can we take in Anaheim to prompt a flood of generosity from us
all?