An Open Letter to Bishop Henry Parsley from Two Named 'Louie Crew'

 An Open Letter to Bishop Henry Parsley from Two Named 'Louie Crew'

Bishop Parsley,

In 1911, when his son Erman was only six, the local Klan came in the dark to
the home of my grandfather and demanded:

"Louie, it is time for you to do your civic duty."

Louie stood them down while Erman watched from behind a window, frightened
by the torches and the hoods.

Then to Erman's amazemenet, Louie called out the name of every hooded man.
Erman thought his father had magical skills, not realizing that as president
of the local bank, his father had loaned the money used to buy most of the
buggies and horses of the vigilantes.

"John! Gary! James! Henry!......" Louie called to the panel before him; "you
know that you are up to no Christian good when you have to hide your face to
do it."

----

+Henry, Bishop of Alabama, Ernest and I still pay taxes on Louie's property
in Coosa County. You know that you are up to no Christian good when you have
to hide the identity of the special panel that you have appointed to study
us secretly.

Nor do you treat all parties equally.  This week the MISSIONER, published by
Nashotah House, identified The Rev. Daniel Westberg, a professor at Nashotah
House, as a member of the secret panel and Dr. Ellen Charry, a professor at
Princeton Theological Seminary, as the panel's chair.  (See page 3 of the
current issue)

The writer had sufficient knowledge to characterize the theologyical
position of each member of the secret panel.

Why does one of our most conservative seminaries have access to information
that you have denied to all who have requested it, including those of us who
share fiscal responsbility with you at General Convention?

End the duplicity.  Take the hoods off all members of the committee. Let
there be transparency and decency.

I have been baptized.

Louie Crew, L1 Newark