Re: TEC financial difficulties

This will be my 6th (and last) GC as a deputy.  I don't recall any
resolution that would force dioceses to pay into TEC's budget; if
resolutions were considered, they were rejected.

Some dioceses require parishes to pay their diocesan assessments (some
instead specify minimums).  The penalty for not doing so is to lose
vote(s) at the diocesan conventions.  Some of the dioceses that require
payments of parishes object most loudly to any suggestion that GC remove
votes from dioceses that don't pay.  (Maybe it would be more appropriate
to remove their voices than their votes?)

I am not sure how I would vote on any such proposals.  The debates would
go on for a very long time, leave people even more divided, and further
distract us from doing mission together.

Would assessing you at a rate higher than you currently choose to pledge
likely make you more generous or less generous?

I always give because I want to, not because someone shames me into it.
As a kid in the Baptist Sunday School I strongly resented the offering
envelopes that had us rate ourselves as Christians for the current week.
Of 100 points maximum, you 'earned' points for things like

   15% did daily bible readings all week
   10% attended Sunday School
   15% read my lessons
   25% tithed ten percent of my income/allowance to this church

If you earned 100 points, you could call yourself 100 percent Christian
for the week.

Blasphemy!