Re: Punitive Actions against TEC

> Punitive action was taken against the Episcopal Church for its election of
> Gene Robinson to the episcopacy. We were required to sit out one meeting
> of the Anglican Consultative Council

Wrong. The ACC and/or the primates asked TEC to sit out ACC, but it did
not, nor by ACC polity could it, require that action.

Executive Council called a special meeting (rare indeed) to respond to the
request, and voted voluntarily to give up TEC's seat and voice. Kim Byham
and I were among the minority who voted against the resolution.

Before the vote, EC had a straw vote that revealed we were fairly equally
divided between: stay away as asked; go and exercise our rights as a
member of the ACC; or go to be present at the meeting and speak with any
one who sought to speak to us outside the meeting, but sit as guests
without voice or vote in the meeting. With that kind of division in
Council, few were surprised that they went for the third option.

They were wrong, and once our people went to Nottingham, few talked with
them and that did not have much access to those with seat, voice and vote.
Furthermore, in our absence, the primate members saw they had enough votes
to change rules to make them more powerful.

It was not clear whether we were asked to stay away for just one meeting
or for an indefinite time. We made our intention clear that TEC would
practice this policy just for the one meeting, and indeed, TEC's three
members did attend the most recent meeting of the ACC exercising fully
seat, voice, and vote.

> Then the Primates required our House of Bishops to promise no more
> ordinations of gay bishops

Wrong again. The Primates could not require any action of us: they have no
jurisdiction over our House of Bishop, nor has our House of Bishops
formally agreed to the Primates' request. Many believe our bishops would
not consent to a gay person if elected, but that's speculation. Several
lgbts have been nominated since 2003, but no out lgbt person has been
elected since +Gene. If our bishops choose to do what the Primates asked,
our bishops have to take responsibility for doing what the Primates have
not jurisdiction to require.

I am not trying to reduce the responsibility of Anglicans outside who are
interfering in the decisions of TEC.. The primates often not only request,
but threaten dire consequences if TEC does not do what the ask. But both
Houses of GC must take responsibility for our own actions and not cowardly
say, "the Anglican Communion made me do it."

Louie

Louie Crew, 377 S. Harrison St., 12D, East Orange, NJ 07018 973- 395-1068
http://queereye4lectionary.blogspot.com/ Queer Eye for the Lectionary