[glory] The Rev. Grant M. Gallup, R. I. P., Integrity's first chaplain and pioneer extraordinaire,

A friend just called to say that Grant Gallup+ died last night.
The Rev. Ted Copland (St. Bonaface, Sarasota, FL) confirmed:   "I learned
that Grant died of a heart ailment Thursday, November 26, at 6 in the
evening.  His body is still at home, and he will be buried today at 4 in
the main cemetery in Managua, where for years he would take his walk to
choose his \223next home.\224   We will pray for him at the Eucharists at
St Boniface on Sunday.   Ted"

Grant was a charter member of Integrity's first
chapter, in Chicago, and served as chaplain to that chapter.   For
several years in the 70s and 80s he edited Integrity Forum. For many
years he was vicar of St. Andrew's on the near Westside of Chicago,
and since about 1988 he has been a missioner in Managua, Nicaragua,
where he founded Casa Maria.

Grant wrote frequently for The Witness and other progressive
journals.

In 1976 he was president of the Episcopal liturgists association.
His liturgical reflections Homily Grits (2000-2007 -- at
http://andromeda.rutgers.edu/~lcrew/homilygrits/index.html) remain
very popular.

He was known affectionately by his close friends as Sister Mary
Rattle Beads, and rattle them he did.  He was one of the first out
priests in the USA, speaking on the Studs Terkel radio program.

I remember asking Grant how those at St. Andrew's were dealing with
his openness.  "The same way I deal with theirs."  When someone's son
was arrested for using crack, Grant was there to help the family
cope.   When someone needed groceries to make it to the end of the
month, Grant was there for them.    His larder was never empty.  On
some days half the block seemed to show up in his dining room for a
meal.   He had the gift of endless, joyful hospitality.  He kept
polished the silverware

Few people have influenced me as much as Grant.   I loved him
dearly.   He taught me much about justice and about courage.   He was
a strong friend when I had few.  He constantly pointed me to gospel
imperatives.   He eschewed pettiness.

For example;   When we lived in Fort Valley, Georgia, Ernest was a
hairdresser, and in our tiny apartment did the hair of some of the
poorest women in Peach County.   One of them called me down from my
study to tell me that Dr. XXXXX,  senior warden at my parish, was
about to become a father again by his mistress.  A couple of years
before, Dr. XXXXX had collected vestry signatures for a petition
asking me to "find some other place of worship more in sympathy with
your concerns about gay people."

I called Mary Rattlebeads.  "Shall I send Dr. XXXXX a Father's Day
card?" I asked.

"You will do no such thing!   A new life is coming into the world.
If you say anything at all, you might call the mother and offer to
sponsor the child at baptism, but only if you are prepared to meet
the obligations of doing so.  This is no time for pettiness!"

In  the winter of 1978 when I was visiting him in Chicago, Grant was
summoned to a shelter to comfort a wino whose Native American lover
had committed suicide by drowning himself in the Chicago River.  I
went with him.  The deacon who ran the shelter had a huge sign in
gold gothic script:  "Love your neighbor today:  leave him
alone".

After brief introductions, in a tiny office made into a parlor, Grant
and I sat in silence with the grief stricken man for at least ten
minutes.  The man broke the silence:  "It's a tough world for a girl
these days."

"We two girls say Amen to that!" Grant said.

That passed the man's test.   Then he trusted us and poured out his
heart.

Pray for those of us who now pour out our hearts.

Louie, Quean Lutibelle

Louie Crew, 377 S. Harrison St., 12D, East Orange, NJ 07018
973-395-1068
http://queereye4lectionary.blogspot.com/  Queer Eye for the
Lectionary

__._,_.___
Reply to sender | Reply to group
Messages in this topic (1)
Recent Activity:
Visit Your Group Start a New Topic
CONFIDENTIALITY:  All on the Glory list have agreed to hold
in the strictest confidence every post received via this list.
If for any reason you can no longer commit to this constraint,
you should delete all messages unread and should unsubscribe
using the address below.
MARKETPLACE

Going Green: Your Yahoo! Groups resource for green living