Re: Archbishop Luke Orombi of Uganda's firstcomments on...

  • Subject: Re: Archbishop Luke Orombi of Uganda's firstcomments on...
  • From: Louie Crew <lcrew@ANDROMEDA.RUTGERS.EDU>
  • Date: Sat, 13 Feb 2010 12:04:55 -0500

It is important to remind ourselves frequently that the official position
toward homosexuals articulated at Lambeth 1998 was the official position of
the General Convention of the Episcopal Church as late as 1979.    Folks in
most parts of the Communion have not until quite recently had access to
local lgbts calling them to account by witnessing to better news.

In my papers at the University of Michigan is a thick folder which I labeled
"Episcopal Snide" -- a collection of some of the more egregious
correspondence bishops wrote to me from 1974 onward.    I used to keep the
folder at hand, but find it best not to linger at that latrine.   Some of
the authors have long ago become good friends.  So will many of those who
vote to condemn us now.

Most of us would probably hold the position  of the majority of  bishops in
the Communion were we straights whose  exposure to lbgts has been limited to
those arrested for public indecency and to bright young natives whom we
observe dating older tourists on the few evenings we can afford to eat at
nice restaurants.

Of course, some, like ++Rowan know better.  In his admirable post-colonial
desire not to insist on having his own way, he has fallen into another grave
form of colonialism, not respecting the formerly colonized enough to share
with them his recipes for the bread of heaven instead of his recipes for
stone bread.

For my 1 minute and 30 seconds to speak to him in Anaheim, I pointed out
that while Jesus did not take on leadership in a Samaritan Liberation
Movement, he did again and again report on the gospel  he had seen practiced
by Samaritans.   I urged ++Rowan to do the same.