Re: [Mgdln] Anybody wanna be a bishop?

There is no trustworthy vaccine for purple fever.

Disallowing self-application in no way assures that those considered by a
nominating committee are untainted by ambition.  Anyone who wants to be
considered for nomination surely has a friend she or he could ask to put in
the name.

We play far too many games in the Church.  Take the related one about
'call,' for example.   I have seen COMs question would-be postulants for
hours about whether they feel called to holy orders, and if so how. Any
rational person can figure out and avoid some of the pitfalls of these
inquisitions, but is that the best way to spend huge chunks of the
discernment time of the COM and of those seeking to be postulants?

Should ambition to do well as a bishop automatically make someone suspect?
Do you really want a bishop who has no interest in being a bishop, who would
be much happier as a parish priest and has no gift to serve as pastor
pastorum?   Be careful; you may get what you want.

I held dear many maxims before I served on episcopal nominating committees;
but having co-chaired our our last episcopal search, and having been
secretary for our penultimate search, I'm far more aware of how with the
best of intentions our processes can interfere with, rather than facilitate,
discernment.   I would not want to blame on the Holy Spirit all nominations,
or all elections for that matter.   We'll do quite well if we have a better
score than Jesus, who chose one doosey of lemon in his twelve.

Nor do I see episcopal elections as about winners and losers.  A diocese is
blessed by all who are willing to be considered.  It is a grueling process,
but done with strong spiritual resources, can be an occasion of grace for
all involved.

    We make his love too narrow
    By false limits of our own
    And we magnify his strictness