Shuffling towards death

When my parents began to deteriorate physically, they lost an
interest in many of the things they had enjoyed all their lives.   I
could not persuade Mother to play bridge, yet she had been a Life
Master, one of the highest awards a bridge-player can attain, based
on national tournaments won.  I could not persuade Dad even to let
me drive him to any of the various lakes where he had fished twice a
week for forty years.
"My parents aren't at all the persons they used to be," I said
to Ernest when I returned from one of hundreds of visits to them.
I am an only child.  Ernest is one of eight.
"They are the same persons and are exactly who they are meant to be,"
Ernest counseled gently.  "Love them for who they are now, not for
some fixed state you want to hold them in.   You will not have them
long.  Enjoy every minute!"
I did.  We all were much blessed.
XXXX, God bless YYYYY and you in this wonderful chance to serve and
care for those who for so long lovingly cared for you.
One of the places Christianity most closely intersects with Chinese
culture is in the line in the Creed, "I believe .... in the Communion
of Saints."   People never really stop living as long as we re-Member