[LS] Fr. David Tarbet: R.I.P.

David attended the first Integrity convention, at the Cathedral of St.
James in Chicago.  He long held a 'life membership' of Integrity, and most
generously supported all work of Integrity, not only with his money but
with his time and his efforts.

David never sought the limelight.  Most often he was the assistant or the
associate, not the rector.  He seemed comfortable with that arrangement.
He was the one to whom those in the limelight could comfortably entrust
hard tasks knowing they would be done faithfully and well, as unto God.

David often gave me important counsel.  I am most blessed to have had him
as my friend.

David was extraordinarily fond of General Seminary, and of his teacher
theologian Norman Pittenger, the keynoter at the first Integrity
convention.

In spite of crippling chronic health problems, in spite of living as
openly gay in a diocese among the most hostile to lgbt people, David never
lost sight of God's love for absolutely everybody, especially for those
who were not very loving towards him.

David's funnybone never got the arthritis that recentlessly attacked many
of his other bones.  I loved the way David's mouth would widen into a
straight line for a smile and his face would light up before he came to a
punch line.  His muted giggle would ripple for several seconds after he
saw that you got the joke.

David has been a close friend for over 36 years, and because we believe in
the Communion of Saints he will remain a close friend forever.

Today is David's birthday.  He would have turned 69.

Pray that light perpetual will shine upon David, that he will rest in
peace, and that we who remain here will not rest until God's realm comes
on earth, not just in heaven.

          -- Frederick William Faber