Re: eni-full ENI-10-0187 Malawi churches discuss gay issue as donors 'apply pressure'

> Ecumenical News International
> Daily News Service
>
> Malawi churches discuss gay issue as donors 'apply pressure'
> ENI-10-0187
>
> By Frank Jomo
> Blantyre, Malawi, 17 March (ENI)--Churches in Malawi have begun to talk
> openly about homosexuality, with some clerics saying this is due to
> pressure from donor organizations who criticise human rights' abuses,
> including the arrest of gays, taking place in the southern African
> nation.
>
> The Malawi Council of Churches on 16 March held a meeting of church
> leaders to discuss issues around homosexuality, plus HIV and AIDS, and
> the need for churches to take a position on the issues. . . . .

I believe it was 1962 when New Orleans businesses had the worst
season on record at a time that Christmas was a boon year for
businesses in most of the rest of the country.   Blacks in New
Orleans staged a boycott of the stores that Christmas.

Through Rotary, Kiwanis, Chambers of Commerce and other business
networks word of the price New Orleans paid spread like wildfire
without the help of network news or front-pages of newspapers.

At a steady pace community after community in the South anticipated
the demands of would-be boycotters and quietly met them one by one,
even before the 1964 Civil Rights Act would have forced them to.

Many will try to paint lgbt Christians with abusing our influence to
pressure an ungodly agenda on the poorest countries of the world, but
lgbt Christians qua Christians have no such clout of the agencies ENI
sites.     Secular lgbts do, and they have been contributing
liberally for a long time to these relief organizations.   It is a
bit much to think that they should be asked to continue to fund their
own oppression.

Louie

Louie Crew, 377 S. Harrison St., 12D, East Orange, NJ 07018
973-395-1068
http://queereye4lectionary.blogspot.com/  Queer Eye for the Lectionary

     We make his love too narrow
     By false limits of our own