Re: [epdionwk] A new paradigm for ministry is urgently needed in TEC

Voluntary church organizations often experience much the same rise and
decline in participation, but in large measure we can be resilient
precisely because we don't have real estate.

Admittedly, when Integrity/NYC died a few years ago, their collection of
splendid hand-made vestments presented some problems for the attorney who
oversaw the dissolution, but those problems were solved expeditiously with
no real headache. No more than five years later, a new group with energy
and vision formed another Integrity/NYC, which is thriving.

It was sad to see one chapter die; it was exhilerating to see
resurrection. What a shame that bondage to real estate makes that cycle so
much more difficult and protracted for congregations.

If Integrity/NYC had been a parish with similar decline, it would have
taken years for the decline. Only when it had absolutely no assets left
would the diocese be able to come in and take on the indebtedness, further
jeopardizing support of congregations with skills and energy for mission
but not for raising money.....

Integrity/NYC had no staff or rector, but clergy galore, many of them
refreshed by being able to be out with one another and not scare the
heteros whom they served tiredlessly during the rest of the time.

The early church had little property. Jesus had no place to lay his head.
Was he a failure?

Korean Christians typically move into neighborhoods all over Northern New
Jersey starting first with house church. The house church across from us
when we lived in the north ward of Newark grew so large you could not find
a parking place for half a mile. Only when they had the money base did
they buy a 'proper' church building -- one which had been closed long ago
by a Lutheran or Presbyterian congregation. They were driven first by
mission, not by property.

Grace Church in Newark was founded in 1837 without a building. The
congregants bought an old store and met there for eleven years before they
hired Upjohn to design our current structure. At the beginning they were
driven by mission, not by real estate.

We very much need to Gideonize the church, to strip ourselves of all but
the most fundamental property constraints, and become materially lean,
lapping our water while poised for the next move.

Clergy who will thrive in the next paradigm for ministry would be wise to
train to be worker priests, as so many already are. Today a worker priest
is often viewed as second-class by her/his peers, for not having
'achieved' a sinecure. St. Paul would be a failure by today's professional
standards.

We need to switch the way we revere clergy. At the moment we honor and pay
best those with the most comfortable assignments. We need to honor and pay
best (or at least fund best their missions) those who take on the toughest
assignments. There still plenty of empty stores all across our diocese
where innovative Christians can meet and interact with people, some of
whom may never want to get near our 'proper' real estate.

For a starter, look at what St. John's in Boonton is doing with "Light on
Mainstreet." Go have coffee there and talk to folks. See
http://www.stjohnsboonton.com/.

For generations the Episcopal Church has treated lay folks not as
disciples of Jesus but as clients of the Church. TEC pays only lip service
to lay ministry, and acts as if the most important thing a lay person can
do is to be a lector or usher or cross bearer. We make young people
acolytes, but rarely let them preach or talk to us about their spiritual
struggles and insights. Is it any wonder that so many of them never come
back once they go off to college?

We need more than an ersatz liturgy to 'honor' lay Christians.
Ordination-lite has no rightful place in the church. We need to get far
more serious: we need to encourage and enable lay ministries, especially
ministries in the world. We lay folk get into far more places than do
clergy, and we have credibility that clergy sometimes lack when we act as
disciples of Jesus in those places, because as lay people we are not being
paid to do it.

Episopalians living in some of the areas already materially the leannest
have much to teach us. Listen to Bishop Tom Ray (retired in Northern
Michigan) talk about Mutual Ministry at
https://admin.na3.acrobat.com/_a204712264/tom. It runs for about an hour
and sixteen minutes. Don't visit unless you have at least another half
hour for reflection afterwards. It may change your life. The interviewer
is Chris Carr. The quality of the video is so-so; the quality of the
content is outstanding.

Louie, lay priest after the order of Melchizedek

Louie Crew, 377 S. Harrison St., 12D, East Orange, NJ 07018
973-395-1068
http://queereye4lectionary.blogspot.com/ Queer Eye for the Lectionary

We make his love too narrow
By false limits of our own