The Bishop of Virginia's failure to consent to +Mary Glasspool

  • Subject: The Bishop of Virginia's failure to consent to +Mary Glasspool
  • From: Louie Crew <lcrew@andromeda.rutgers.edu>
  • Date: Sat, 10 Apr 2010 11:53:49 -0400

Re: http://leaveitlay.blogspot.com/2010/04/not-for-faint-of-heart.html

While I share your disappointment, I am not anguished. I expected as much.

Shannon Johnston+ expressed the same priorities about timing to me when he
graciously met with me in Mississippi shortly after his election as Bishop
of Virginia. I agree with him that it would have been much neater for
+Gene and +Mary had TEC already agreed to bless our relationships before
making them bishops. It would also have been much neater for Jesus had
Isarel already converted before he had to deal with Samaritans,
centurians, and other 'outsiders.'

But human need is rarely ordered neatly. The Holy Spirit blows where it
listeth quite apart from our concerns about neatness.

I believe that Bishop Johnston will come round on lgbt consecrations, and I
am glad that he is already on record in studying how TEC might best bless
lgbt unions.

Keep in mind too that no diocese (or state) has quite so grandiose a sense
of entitlement as does Virginia. More often than not Virginians refer to
"The University" meaning there is only one (UVA), and the Diocese of
Virginia uses as its web address simply as 'thediocese.net'

With that kind of attitude pervasive all around him, it probably is
understandable that the Bishop of Virginia falls into the trap of thinking
that the Spirit has not blown for others before the Spirit blows for
Virginia.

It will blow for Virginia, and Bishop Johnston, a very fine bishop and
human being, will respond accordingly when word reaches Richmond.