Scouting, Gays, and Mormons

In the case BOY SCOUTS OF AMERICA vs. Dale, Dale's position initially
prevailed.   The case originated in New Jersey.  Dale is an Episcopalian,
and he had the support of specific resolutions of the Diocese of Newark.

The U.S. Supreme Court overruled the lower court and affirmed BSA's right to
discriminate.  See the report at
http://legal-dictionary.thefreedictionary.com/Boy+Scouts+of+America+v.+Dale

Resolution C031 passed General Convention in 2000;  it recommends that
clergy initiate and encourage discussion on the issues of sexual orientation
and inclusion with local Boy Scouts of America councils.  See the text at
http://www.episcopalarchives.org/cgi-bin/acts/acts_resolution.pl?resolution=
2000-C031.

I believe C031 was first presented by The Rev. Fletcher Harper then in our
deputation.  I supported it.  I am a strong believer in staying at the table
as opposed to walking off in a snit when powerful majorities disagree with
us.

But if we choose to stay at the table, we must continue to insist on the
painful discussions.

I doubt that C031 ever touched a computer screen at Salt Lake City.  That's
not where lasting change for Mormons will begin.   It will begin when you
and I call the local Mormon organizers and set up meetings to talk with
them.   It will begin when you and I invite the pair of Mormon Missionaries
at the door in for tea and cookies and conversation -- rather than not
answering the door or explaining just "we're Episcopalians."

Dad was given the Silver Beaver Award.  It it is the council-level
distinguished service award of the Boy Scouts of America .  I was much too
sissy to make it beyond the scouting rank of First Class.   Dad's award is
clunky, with the heavy silver beaver at the end of a blue and white band.  I
have sometimes used it as a huge prayer chain.   I kept my hand on it in my
pocket when the House of Deputies voted on C031 in 2000.