Re: [LS] Academic Regalia: Rose meets Brown in church.

Upon graduation, rather than rent one year after year, I borrowed the robe
of a friend about my size, used old newspapers to cut out a pattern, and for
about $20 in fabric made a gown in basic black with blue velvet stripes and
lining.   It has served me well for the 39 years since I earned my first
doctorate.

At one point I made a black cape with lavender lining to wear over it while
riding to commencement on my BSA.   There is still a small splash of
motorcycle grease on the bottom hem of the gown.   I also made my own beret
out of blue velvet.

One bystander in tiny Fort Valley, Georgia, was once overheard saying:
"Great God almighty, it looks like Benjamin Franklin!"

In the early 1980s I threatened to add to the pageantry by making another
gown in complete lavender, but I was too tight to invest another $20
adjusted for inflation.

Clergy, judges, and academics all sport medieval wear at least on special
occasions, but beware of minds stuck in the dark ages.

Before I ever had such haberdashery, a few of us gays on the faculty of the
University of Alabama  in the 1960s rode our motorcycles to tiny Reform,
Alabama (current population ca. 2,000; in Pickens County), circled the city
square seven times, with much revving, and stopped at the soda fountain of a
pharmacy, and said in unison, "We'd like dishes of tutti-frutti ice cream,
please."    We had been inspired by one of Brando's films.

Joy!

Louie/Lutibelle