[HoB/D] My response to Bishop Doyle [Bishop of Texas]

  • Subject: [HoB/D] My response to Bishop Doyle [Bishop of Texas]
  • From: Louie Crew <lcrew@andromeda.rutgers.edu>
  • Date: Sun, 20 Jun 2010 16:33:45 -0400

Dear Bishop Doyle,

Re: your response to Dean Luck's message

I take this opportunity to share my own perspective and witness.  Like you,
I rejoice in the fine work of the Compass Rose Society, especially its
generosity to some of the neediest people in the world.   I do not see the
Society's work as a counterstatement to the commitments of The Episcopal
Church.  Each augments the mission of the other.

> At a time when there is great division in the church it puzzles me why
> people are taking aim at an organization that is made up of individuals
> from every walk of life, political background, and a multitude of
> ethnicities
> joining hands to do mission work

Those are my sentiments exactly.  I also doubt that Dean Luck is "taking
aim" at the Compass Rose Society.  To me he seemed to ask why TEC is being
expunged from participation in interim bodies of the Communion but not being
expunged from the Society that generously contributes to that work.

It puzzles me why the Archbishop of Canterbury, Canon Kenneth Kearon, the
Lambeth Conference, and so many others are "taking aim" at The Episcopal
Church -- "made up of individuals from every walk of life, political
background, and a multitude of ethnicities joining hands to do mission
work."

Lgbts are grateful that at enormous risk,The Episcopal Church has embraced
us as part of God's mission.  So has Jesus.  Many others in the Anglican
Communion cast us out.

As a member of the board of the Compass Rose Society, might you join hands
with those trying to reduce the murder of lgbts in many parts of the
Communion?  As a board member, might you extend the Society's  good will to
join hands with those working to end capital punishment, life sentences, and
other horrendous penalties merely for being lgbt in many parts of the
Communion?

I am grateful that many of the TEC members of the board of the Compass Rose
Society do indeed work towards those good ends.  I have been greatly blessed
by my associations with them.

Of course mission with lgbts has political consequences.  Most life-saving
Gospel work has political consequences.   Moreover, silence in the face of
persecution has grave spiritual consequences.

I am glad that you have met with some lgbt leaders and our straight
supporters in your diocese, and I pray for all of you as you continue to
spend time together. I applaud you for committing to reduce the defamatory
rhetoric in the diocese and for encouraging conversations about these
issues.

My list of lgbt priests born and educated in the Diocese of Texas reads like
an honor roll of some of the finest priests in The Episcopal Church and the
Anglican Communion. While some are known to you, others  tell me that they
won't risk coming out to you, and that in any case they cannot be deployed
at home because the Diocese of Texas is committed to excluding them.

As I said to you at your consecration, I expect you to be the next John
Hines, and I pray steadily for you to have a double portion of his spirit.

Faithfully, Louie