Re: [HoB/D] NY Times: Congregations Gone Wild

Re: G. Jeffrey MacDonald's op-ed piece in the NY  Times on 8/7/10 at
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/08/08/opinion/08macdonald.html?_r=1&emc=eta1

When I first read this, I tried to figure out what made me
uncomfortable.  I knew it was not a personal unwillingness to be told
hard truth.

Nor do I crave short sermons. I feel I have not been given my money's
worth if the preacher speaks for under 25 minutes. As a university
professor, I feel constrained limited to an hour and a half.

My problem is that Jeff Macdonald in this piece shows little respect
for his audience.   He uses the pulpit to bully spiritual nitwits,
not as a venue to nurture Jesus' disciples.   He writes as if he alone
is a full vessel and as if those in the audience are empty.  He does not
draw on any contact with the spiritual riches of those to whom he preaches.  Might that be why his congregation insisted that he  keep sermons short?

Beware of the professional Christian!   Preachers are far more likely
to reach those in the congregation if he they do not talk down to us,
but with us.

Louie,  Co-Chair of the Newark deputation
Louie Crew, 377 S. Harrison St., 12D, East Orange, NJ 07018
973-395-1068