[HoBD] NYT: Making History, Twice, at Grace Cathedral

  • Subject: [HoBD] NYT: Making History, Twice, at Grace Cathedral
  • From: Louie Crew <lcrew@andromeda.rutgers.edu>
  • Date: Fri, 24 Sep 2010 09:36:06 -0400

After Ernest and I married on February 2, 1974, we headed for UC-Berkeley
in June, where I had a post-doctoral fellowship from the National
Endowment for Humanities. At the time, we we did not know another gay
couple, and we knew very few lesbians.

When we arrived, I called Grace Cathedral and said that we were a racially
integrated couple from a small town in middle Georgia and would like to be
put in touch with other gay Episcopalians.

One office person after another passed my call. Few were careful to muffle
their snickers as each asked me to repeat my request.

I was devastated. The flower children had preceded us by a decade; this
was the most liberal cathedral in the world in the world's most
gay-affirming city.

I made an appointment with Peter Haynes+, then the Episcopal chaplain at
Berkeley, with whom I shared my anguish.

"These people are laughing at the holiest relationship that I have ever
experienced....."

Peter could hardly get a word in edgewise, but when he did, he asked the
crucial question, "What are you going to do about it?"

"I am going to start an organization," I fired back, surprising even
myself; "and I am going to call it Integrity, to reclaim what they have
violated."

By November we had a newsletter. By December our first chapter convened in
Chicago, and the following summer that chapter hosted our first national
convention at the Cathedral of St. James, with theologian Norman Pittenger
the main speaker. Rt. Rev. Quintin E. Primo, then Bishop Suffragan of
Chicago, was the celebrant at our main mass. Two years later we had our
third national convention in San Francisco. By then we had almost 30
chapters.....

Most of this work was done, and continues to be done, by others. I merely
blew the shofar.

When we arrived in San Francisco, I had assumed that someone had already
done such work. Before calling Grace, I had no idea of what it is to step
into the direct path of the Holy Spirit.

Five years ago, I called Grace Cathedral anonymously to ask the same
question again. I occasionally play the recording which I made of the
loving response that I received.

May Dr. Shaw's tenure at Grace bring joy to absolutely everybody!

Louie, Lay Newark