Alan and Willa Medinger, R.I.P.

Tonight I learned that Alan Medinger, founder of Regeneration, died on
June 28, 2010 and that his wife Willa died on September 16, 2010.

Regeneration is an exit ministry for gays and persons with sexual
addictions.  See http://www.regenerationministries.org/.  Alan founded
Regeneration in 1979, five years after I founded Integrity (November
1974)..  Alan was the first president of Exodus (1980).  See "A Life Well
Lived:  The Legacy of Alan Medinger" at
http://www.regenerationministries.org/newsletter-201009.pdf

Regeneration began with close connections to the Episcopal Church, and I
connected with Alan and Willa at several General Conventions.  We
occasionally compared notes on how some Episcopalians wanted both groups
to disappear.  Those who wanted lgbts healed were never willing to spend
much money on the commitment.

As an outsider journalist I attended a Regeneration conference at
Catonsville, Maryland in 1993.  My notes on that conference are still
available on the QRD (Queer Resources Directory) at
http://www.qrd.org/qrd/religion/anti/exgay/regeneration.txt.  I enjoyed
reliving the experience by re-reading my account tonight.  I had no doubt
that I was with sister and brother Christians and with lots of folks in my
tribe.

I treasure my friendship with Alan and Willa.  They were bright, gentle,
unpretentious people who gave quietly and faithfully to their ministry.

I remember with special delight an evening when the three of us met for
dinner in Baltimore, where they lived.  I was to be the host, but they
insisted on hosting me and took me to a fabulous neighborhood restaurant
which featured soft-shell crabs served on old newspapers.  The restaurant
gave us towels for bibs, and we had at 'em.

They were not interested in attacking me or converting me, nor I them.
We were clear and candid about our disagreements, but we did not let them
divide us.  I rejoiced that in his marriage Alan had found healing from
sexual addictions.  I rejoiced in the wholeness that Ernest and I found in
our marriage.  They always asked about him with kindness.

It soft shell crabs are on heaven's menu, I look forward to another
newspaper banquet with Alan and Willa, this time as always, God's treat.

God's ways are beyond our knowing and finding out, but God's love is as
knowable and accessible as the neighbors and friends whom God gives to us.

Rest in peace, Alan and Willa, rest in peace dear friends.

Louie

Louie Crew, 377 S. Harrison St., 12D, East Orange, NJ 07018. 973-395-1068