Re: [HoB/D] Institutional

From: "****** ***********"

> Our Episcopal Church Constitution and Canons are not effective
> tools for evangelism; they are not intended as such. They provide
> the framework in which evangelism can take place.

Maybe not in your community, *******+, but in my community TEC's Constitution
and Canons are extremely effective tools for evangelism.    And my community
does not include just lgbt persons.   I have been blessed to preach in many
places in our church, and I find enthusiasm quite high for the polity of the
Episcopal Church.

Roman Catholics make up the major portion of adult converts to the Episcopal
Church in New Jersey, and many are drawn to us because of the democratic
processes guaranteed by TEC's Constitution and Canons.  Rome offers no
equivalents!  At least two dozens priests in the Diocese of Newark were
formerly Roman priests.  Scores of our lay leaders are former Romans.  Don't
tell them that our Constitution and Canons  are ineffective tools for
evangelism.

Hundreds of women unable to be ordained or to be served by ordained women in
other churches have been confirmed as Episcopalians -- in large measure
because of gender justice guaranteed in our Constitution and Canons.

Hundreds of lgbt persons not welcome in other churches, many not welcome
even in their own homes, have joined the Episcopal Church.  One of my more
popular web pages is my collection of items related to sexual orientation in
the Constitution and Canons of the Episcopal Church:
http://andromeda.rutgers.edu/~lcrew/doc.html#canons

Obviously not all parts of TEC have welcomed the new order as we have
changed our Constitution and Canons to be more just.  Folks like me would
not have a chance to participate fully in all orders of ministry in your
diocese, nor in most of the dioceses that have fought item by item the
greater inclusion guaranteed by TEC's Constitution & Canons.

With few exceptions, dioceses that have fought the fuller inclusion of women
and lgbts are the same dioceses that held out the longest against racial
integration of TEC.

The draft Anglican Covenant would make scapegoats of lgbt persons.   Should
I trust the draft Covenant based on your endorsement of it?  What is the
Diocese of ******** doing to respond to the Great Commission to take good news
to lgbt people?  Where can I find that commitment in your diocesan and
parochial budgets?   Where can I find that commitment in the lgbt media in
Texas?   Where can I find that commitment in your deployment of lgbts in all
orders of ministry in your diocese?

Louie, L1 (2009) Newark