Re: [HoB/D] Evolving Icons (KJV)

All words are icons.  That's their only identity.   Otherwise, they are
merely sounds or shapes.

I vividly remember an evening class several years ago.  The students arrived
unprepared.  Most were in their 20s to 40s.  Some held down grueling jobs in
the day.

I began with one of the assigned poems:

HE ate and drank the precious words,
His spirit grew robust;
He knew no more that he was poor,
Nor that his frame was dust.
He danced along the dingy days,
And this bequest of wings
Was but a book. What liberty
A loosened spirit brings!

"What does Emily Dickinson mean by 'He ate and drank the precious word'"?

Deadly silence.

It is too easy to fill in for students' silence.  I decided not to to speak.
One minute stretched to two, stretched to three...

The oldest person in the class broke through:  "I am off heroin only because
of words.  Heroin is very real, very physical, and very demanding.    Words
are all I have to fight it with.    Those words are sacred and I devour
them.  There is nothing 'mere' about them"

Everyone remained in the class for over an hour after it officially ended.
Two of his classmates asked to ride with us when I offered to drive him

LORD, you understand;
  remember me and care for me....
When your words came, I ate them;
  they were my joy and my heart's delight

                            -- Jeremiah 15: 15-16

Louie, L1 Newark for 25 more days

Louie Crew, 377 S. Harrison St., 12D, East Orange, NJ 07018. 973-395-1068