Applicants for the Certificate in Nonprofit Management may take courses simply by completing the graduate application http://gradstudy.rutgers.edu/ and selecting the non-degree option. It is not necessary to meet admission requirements to complete the Certificate. Students completing the certificate should notify the Assistant Dean of Academic Affairs (firstname.lastname@example.org) who will verify that the certificate courses have been completed and issue the Certificate. Certificate courses completed with a B or better grade may be used for the M.P.A. degree should a student elect to apply to the degree program. If a certificate student elects to matriculate into the MPA degree program, the admission application must be completed before the student may be matriculated in the M.P.A. degree program.
Interested in beginning a graduate certificate or take graduate courses without matriculating? You may enroll as a nondegree student!
Applying online is an easy, three-step process:
- Step 1:
Before you complete and submit the online application form, be sure to review supporting materials, including personal statement details. (Use a password and PIN to stop and resume a previously begun application as often as necessary.)
- Step 2:
Pay the $65 application fee online. A $30 express mail fee is optional for those applicants living abroad who want express mail notification of decisions. Payment by check or money order is also acceptable. Applications received without fees are not processed. Application fees are non-refundable.
- Step 3:
Send supporting materials (including the fee, unless paid online) to the appropriate graduate admissions office. Decisions cannot be rendered on incomplete applications. It is the applicants responsibility to ensure that all required documents are available for review by the program's stated deadline.
Completion times will depend on how many courses you take each semester. Some courses are offered on-line during Winter Session, and there are two full sessions each summer. Many students go year round to accelerate completion of their degree. Here are some sample completion scenarios. We do not recommend that anyone working full-time take more than 6 credits per semester. The reason is that each course requires considerable amounts of reading, study, and completion of assignments. Grades suffer when too many courses are taken at one time.
The nondegree program allows you to take up to 12 graduate credits (varies by program) before you formally apply to a program. These credits will count toward your degree should you apply and gain admission.
- A bachelor's degree is REQUIRED. Letters of recommendation, GRE scores, and college transcripts are NOT REQUIRED.
- In the Online Schedule of Classes, only courses designated as AVAILABLE FOR NM STUDENTS are available to nondegree students. Courses designated with NM STU NEED INST OR PROG DIR APPV must obtain departmental approval. Courses with neither notation are NOT open to nondegree enrollment.
- Nondegree enrollment (master's level only) is not available in all subject areas. Please see the Online Schedule of Classes.
Nondegree Application and Registration Instructions
- Apply online and indicate that you are applying for the Nondegree Program.
- Once you have submitted the application and have been admitted, you may register for classes. However, please first access the Online Schedule of Classes to determine if courses still have space availability (if open or closed).
- Register for courses online using Rutgers WEBREG. Login using your 9-digit Rutgers ID. Your Personal Access Code (PAC) is the first four digits of your birthday (ex. September 5th birthday = 0905 PAC code).
Term bills may be paid online at www.studentabc.rutgers.edu one day following registration.