Internships – BA in Public Service Program
The program in Public Service at Rutgers University-Newark promotes civic engagement, strengthens teaching and learning, and builds collaborative partnerships through public service, service-learning, and community-based research. As part of the core requirements for the program, each student will go out into the field, giving their time to benefit others in the form of two supervised, structured service learning/internship courses within the community.
Students will receive advisement prior to beginning their internship
All internship opportunities must be approved by the Director of the Department
Service learning experience will be accompanied by written reports
Internships may be paid or unpaid
For 4 credits, internships must be 150 hours within 3 months
(50 hours per month, 12-14 hours per week)
The pre-requisite for the internship courses is completion of either "The Urban Experience in the United States" or "The Urban Global Experience"
SPAA Internship in Washington, DC Program
Organizations currently hiring interns:
- American Cancer Society
- American Civil Liberties Union Foundation
- American Museum of Natural History
- Asian American Legal Defense and Education Fund
- Care Plus Foundation
- The Charles G. Koch Charitable Foundation
- Christopher and Dana Reeves Foundation
- Community FoodBank of New Jersey
- Department of State
- El Club Del Barrio, Inc.
- Family Connections
- The First Occupational Center of New Jersey
- FOCUS Hispanic Center for Community Development, Inc.
- Inner-City Teaching Corps
- International Institute of New Jersey
- Liberty Science Center
- New Jersey After 3 (Americorps)
- New Jersey Association on Correction
- New Jersey Immigration Policy Network, Inc. (NJIPN)
- New Jersey Working Families Alliance
- New Providence Learning Club
- Newark Museum
- North Star Academy
- Protestant Community Centers, Inc.
- Shua Life Skills
- Superior Court of New Jersey (Essex Vicinage)
- Teach for America
- US Marshals Service